Friday, May 20, 2011

I'm looking forward to this weekend

I've been very carefully keeping track of my calories this week and other than one day that I really went overboard, I am REALLY happy with myself.
Mike and I are both overweight by about 50 lbs and while my health hasn't been too affected by it especially since I've been losing little by little, Mike's health has. He has high blood pressure and sleep apnea and his father had a stroke at a young age, obviously we have some work ahead of us. I've put a lot of effort into my own weight loss and better health but I haven't really pushed Mike into anything... mostly because he'd get angry and do the opposite.
Not that I gave up, not by a long shot but I had to soften it into suggestions and recommendations and simply buying better snacks and cooking healthier, eating at home more. Of course that's not exactly helpful if he buys a burger and fries on the way home, gets a soda and pizza for lunch, candy bars or Little Debbie snacks in his drawer at work. He's an adult and ultimately will make his own choices but as a person who loves him I want better for him.
He reached a breaking point all on his own and was unhappy over, I could tell he was starting to feel disgust and worthlessness (I know from experience). Thinking in a new direction might help, so I scoured the web for idea, inspiration, ANYTHING to give him a toe hold in the downhill slide. eDiets and Nutri-System and the like are too spendy, one month of their food for 1 person costs just a little less than a month worth of food for our family of 5. In reading the reviews and comments I saw a couple of comments about sticking to Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice.
Hmmmmmmmm. Getting thinky now. Is that really a diet? I thought it was simply a healthier alternative to the other tv dinners. Time for more in-depth research!!
I feel you should imagine a good super hero theme song at this interval.
I built an arsenal of information with which to convince my darling husband that this was a good diet for him. To my shock, I didn't need to convince at all. I simply mentioned that I's seen online that you can actually lose weight with tv dinners and BAM, just like that he was interested and all for it.
We planned out what to buy, 100 calories snacks/desserts, lots of fruits and veggies, salad and of course, the tv dinners. We looked for the ones that are the best for us (low sugar, low sodium) and we were off and running. Er,not exactly but you know what I mean.
Mike selected low sodium meals from Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice for lunches and some dinners as well as some snack for work. The kids eat pretty much what we eat, they love grown up meals that I can actually have like baked fish and salad, so I make the breakfast and have either a meal replacement shake or a bowl of oatmeal, fruit, and coffee or tea. Water and a snack like yogurt or cucumber slices, then for lunch and dinner I choose one meal to cook from scratch and one that's a frozen meal.
We had a hard couple of days at the beginning of the week while we adjusted to smaller meals and less sugar, but it's getting easier. I discovered that I can't have Rice Crispy Treats in the house, lol. Mike learned he needs to have snacks to keep him from giving in to hunger before getting home. We've also made sure to take a good hard look at the nutritional information at any restaurants we might go to.
I have high hopes for Mike if he can get used to this diet, I think it's really well suited to him and he could keep this up for a long time.
This weekend is supposed to be sunny and I hope to get the family out for a walk. if I can add walking 3 days a week then I can lose even more weight, maybe even firm things up a little. :) If nothing else, I get to relax with my kids and husband before Monday's weigh-in comes around.

No comments: