Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Who knew enchilada sauce was so wise?

I have had a blah day. Not good, not bad, not even boring just.... blah. The kids all seem to be feeling better with the exception of my oldest whose stomach ailment has turned into a gut ailment and he's NOT happy about it. I planned to make bbq chicken for dinner but then I saw a can of enchilada sauce and though Mmmmm that sounds good!
Normally one might make the next step checking the fridge/freezer for the rest of the ingredients for the meal. Me? I open the darn can and pour it into a pan then stand staring at it stupidly as if I expected the fully made meal to come out instead. My middle son walks in, looks at me, then the pan, then back to me and says, "what are you doing, Mom?"
"Making a big mistake, it seems."
After a moment of thought, he asks "What big mista......ay... ake did you um, make, Mom?" (If you've spoken to the boy, you understand)
"I poured a can of sauce into the pan hours too early an I'm not even sure I have the stuff I need to make enchiladas."
He laughed at me and said "That's not a big mistake, Mom, it's a little one.Don't worry." All the while he's making exspansive and then minute gestures to visually back up his opinion of the size of my oops.
I wanted to explain to him that it was a big deal to me, but then I thought about how silly I must look to a 4 year old, frowning over a cold pan and an empty can because I emptied it too soon. It's small beans, lady, get over it!
We don't have and meat defrosted and we are out of tortillas... part of my brain says 'so defrost the darn meat and MAKE some tortillas, it's not hard, you've done it before.' The other part is whining 'what a dumb move that was, why weren't you thinking?'
Kids have this bizarre way of seeing the problems that irritate and anger adults as no big gig, but the things we brush off as minor and not worth worry as huge, monumental and life altering. I remember once my grandfather telling me he would take me with him to the grange to get chicken feed one afternoon. I went playing down by the crick and forgot the time. When I remembered suddenly I scrambled up the hill and onto the bridge only to lose my grip and fall into a bunch of blackberry brambles. I tore a toenail off and had thorns where they seriously didn't belong, but my worry wasn't that I fell off a bridge or nearly put out an eye - it was that I might miss going to grange and getting chicken feed. It was ridiculous when I look back -
1) I knew my Dandad would never leave without me if he offered.
2)I got to the grange at least once a week
3)there was nothing special going on, no side trips to get ice cream, no chicks or ducklings to play with at the grange... I didn't even get out.
It's hard to remember how kids feel sometimes. Like the problem they face that moment is the biggest ever and could potentially break their heart.
And to kids... man, I thought the adults were all SO dang uptight! They didn't understand that my world hung on the one and only problem in my heart at the moment and though it may change later, right now it's the most important thing to me. Whether or not they agreed with it's importance or understood WHY, if they didn't support me, help me, then it really did break my heart. Not just the problem, the adult who didn't take me seriously.
I know, a lot to glean from a can of enchilada sauce right? My children remind me every day how to keep life simple, how to take a closer, clearer and less selfish look at the world without trying to make it all fit in the columns we adults think it should.

No comments: