Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cats and kittens, birds and bees...

My brother and sister in law moved to my grandparents farm to help care for them as they grew older and infirm. The couple that had been doing the caretaking before them were friends of the family - meaning I knew the guy before he could crawl, all diapered and toothless and spitting up. He and his wife had a cat, Talula, and when they moved away the cat couldn't come and my brother and sister in law adopted her.
Only to find they adopted her pregnant belly as well. lol.
She is a darling cat, so sweet and cuddly that when she had her kittens I BEGGED to get one. I got two instead. We planned to get them fixed in February at the annual SNIP free spay/neuter clinic but this of course would be the year it's not free after all. We now have pissed on belongings and a pregnant cat.

There is an upside, it's not for long! We are making an appointment to get certain body parts ruthlessly cut off... I mean fixed :) and our queen is getting ready to drop her bundles-of-joy any time now. She is normally stand-offish to anyone but me and pregnancy has made that a thing of the past. She loves to be touched and petted and oooooooh belly rubs or back rubs earn you a friend for life. She was thin and elegant as are most young Siamese, but being pregnant has her eating everything in smell. I would say sight but it's not really a requirement. She'll leap from the floor to anything withing 4-5 feet. Even if it means hanging from my back by her claws. She'll rip open any sealed items in search of more more more.
We got her a bag of kitten food for the last week or two of her gestation since she is so ravenous and it was recommended and yes, she ripped that open too before we could feed her in a civilized fashion.
Last night I was ejected from my room thanks to sleeping lumps of children taking my spot and screaming or crying if I woke them enough to move them, so I slept on the couch, wrapped in a giant fleece comforter. I mention fleece because Hawkeye, our mom-to-be, is completely obsessed with this material. She'll purr with manic abandon and knead her claws into it while simultaneously nuzzling and sucking on it. I pity the children who sleep under their own fleece blankets since she is no great respecter of personal boundaries.
She jumped on me last night while I dozed on our couch and the combination of pregnant over-affection and the fleece blanket over warm body had her over the edge of reason. She kept head butting me in a not-so-gentle way, slamming her forehead into my face hard enough to shove me backwards further into the pillow, nuzzling frantically and kneading at me, spinning in circles and rubbing her belly on me, tunneling her nose under my hands and then meowing in her quiet, trilly sort of way.
Earlier I had noticed a hard patch on her fur when she accidentally sat on my hand (she's a little clumsy right now)and while she was freaking out on me later, I saw a red/pink fleshy looking thing hanging from her. I was started for sure and since I know nothing about pregnant cat midwifery, I ran upstairs to the computer to see if this is something that should worry me. It seems, as best as I could glean, that she lost her mucus plug!!! Nasty, but the earliest sign of impending labor. It could be 12 hours from then, it could be a week, but it means she's a mom soon. I just wish she hadn't been in my face at the time.
This morning I was watching her while she slept in the sunny patch on my bedroom floor, thinking about the dangers of birth and worrying about her when suddenly her belly jumped. A jump, shudder, then a tiny pointy thing shoved against her belly...... a kitten moving!!! I only feel gurgling most of the time when I pet her and I think I felt it/them move twice, a rolling sensation, but never so obvious as this. It was great. I am coming to suspect that she has a very small litter in her, 1-2 maybe. That would be good since she is only 1 and this is her first (and last) pregnancy.
Now I just hope that she either has them before we go on our trip or waits til we get back. Cross your fingers people!

No comments: