Friday, December 5, 2008

If you're reading this...

Naw, I'm still kicking. This is the first day I've felt human enough to post. Sick. Rattling cough, stuffed head, lost my voice to a sore throat.. you know the drill. I only had a fever for two days though, so there's an upside. Right now I'm trudging my way through the last-of-being-sick congestion. In the beginning you FEEL the worst but still look ok, then you get super sick and forget most of the middle, but the end... ugh. Feel well enough that you are getting antsy to get out of bed, but you look and sound like you might still die. Thankfully, we had a WalMart nearby when we embarked on this mucus-fest.
While thinking on it, THANK YOU to the people who thought up Puffs with Lotion, Vick's VapoRub, Halls cough drops, DayQuil, NyQuil, ChloraSeptic, antiviral tissues, and medicine delivery tools like oral syringe and the dosing spoon.
Really, it wasn't that much, I was exaggerating.
We always get a small box of Puffs with Lotion when the kids get runny noses because they get SO raw and start screaming and thrashing wildly when they see a tissue coming at 'em... and when the reason we're coming at 'em is because they're covered in snot, that's not so great. Think Hooch. You know, from Turner and Hooch. Am I that old?
The antiviral tissues were because we were staying at an elderly and infirm relative's house. These tissues killed a couple of different rhino-virus within 15 minutes.
I always have Vick's with me because the kids and I get stuffy when we have to go over mountain passes (which we do to even go grocery shopping or pick Daddy up from work) and be hit with heaters in the van and then freezing cold outside. Just pays to keep it handy.
elevation at home - 4505 ft.
elevation at Nanny's house - 1890 ft.
elevation at Mike's office - 3623 ft.
The dosing tools keep the mess to a minimum if we do end up having to give them something, but normally we don't.
The kids got over it fast, but Mike and I both got steadily worse on our drive home and the next day we called in sick. Since I work IN the home, this was much easier for me... I yelled down the hall "You get Ritz crackers and whatever fruit you can get from the fridge."
My oldest boy loves to take charge, a real Mr.Mom thing. He also loves to clean and adores babies. This makes it possible for me to be sick sometimes. He does not wet nurse or change diapers though... so I do need to get up once in a while, fever or not. Poor me.
My middle child is pretty oblivious to anything I say or do anyway, well or sick, so there isn't much change for him.
My youngest child is independent to the core. If he needs to nurse, get changed, or gets sleepy, he comes and climbs up on my bed to leave me in no doubt of the exact nature of his needs. Ever had a baby latch on sitting in a squatted position while you were asleep? No? ok, then, sit on your head with a poopy cotton diaper?
not that either, huh... how about a 1 year old pushing a kitchen chair to your bedroom door, climbing up to twist the knob, then shutting the door to climb into bed?
Tell ya what, that one freaked me out a little. I was still utterly sure that my 13 month old baby needed me. Looks like he doesn't. My older two boys weaned themselves, my oldest potty trained himself for the most part, my middle child learned to poop and wipe without my help. The baby is supposed to stay a baby. Right? Right? damn.
All of us are glad to be home to our own beds and two bathrooms. Most of us are glad to feel better. Here's a couple of pictures of the visit.

My youngest with his cousin, she's 3 months younger and just as tall. And has a lot more hair, lol.

A GORGEOUS flattering shot of me and the baby.

Mt. Hood, we were just outside of Hood River at the time of the picture.

and a beautiful pic of my Dandad and my youngest. He loves his great grandpa.

2 comments:

LinLori said...

Did you know that the amount of pretty you possess is considered dangerously high? If you continue to be so pretty, I'm going to have to apprehend you and keep you for my own.

On another note, I have had Bre nurse in a squatting position while I was sleeping. And she's sat on my head with a poopy cotton diaper. That one had a cover on it, though, thank goodness.

Many hugs and your George missed you immensely.

Joleen said...

poop and wipe on his own?! all by himself? i only dream of it!