Saturday, November 28, 2009

A First For Me

I've had a lot of medical oddness in my life. No, I won't explain. However, out of all of them I never had the pleasure of being dropped in my track by pneumonia til now. I started coughing this funny, wheezy, phlemless cough a couple of weeks ago along with my youngest boy. He's two and since he snuggles tons and his bed is in my room, not a surprise that he got sick. Everyone else seemed to have the luck of not being sick. A week into it, Mase started getting better, his cough lessened and he got snotty instead. I got snotty too, but where his was clear, mine was... um.. yuck. And my cough got rattly and up higher in my chest. from the start I thought I was experiencing a mild form of heartburn because I had pressure in my chest. This got worse when the cough got rattly.
Mase is not even coughing anymore, but last night I had a bad attack of coughing, so bad that I couldn't breath in again unless I did so VERY shallowly and talking was out of the question. I haven't had much of a voice but this knocked it out altogether. I felt like the seams between my skull plates were busting apart and my chest felt jammed between a rock and a hard place, the pressure was worse and turning to pain.
Of course, being my husband, Mike got really worried and wanted me to go to Urgent Care. Normally I am not a hysterical sort. I don't go to the doctor often. I actually hesitated, then agreed to go so that worried Mike even more. Good thing I went. I have pneumonia. Never had that before! I'm on a 5 day course of antibiotics the size of horse pills and an emergency inhaler. Never had one of those either.
I should be right as rain in 3-4 more days and thankfully I already feel much improved. I expected the pills to be the part I hated worst, but other than nausea they are being kind to me. The part I hate is the inhaler. It makes me woozy and my heart races and the taste UGH. It also messes with my voice, I sound all "follow the yellow brick road".

No comments: