Sunday, December 6, 2009

weekends are great

I love winter weekends. Since the cold is intense and the windchill is -4, that may seem a little strange, but hear me out. The house is warm, we have plenty of food and lots to keep ourselves entertained. The van is out of gas so that will be a worry come tomorrow, but in the mean time I get my family altogether in one place for two days at a time.
All summer it felt like we were never together. I know we were, obviously, but the meals we made we fast and usually cold to combat the heat. During the heat of the day the kids would escape by watching cartoons in front off the air conditioner. The long bright summer evenings had the kids playing outside and Mike working late. There were upsides, obviously, but I felt like I never actually SAW them.
When the weather is cold, we all spend time together. The meals are hot and take longer to cook and eat, the kids and Mike help me prepare them. We sit together at the table and talk, play games and all snuggle in one room for our movies and popcorn.
Maybe I'm just being sentimental,maybe it's because it's our first winter in our new house, or the boys getting older... but I love it. These last few days have brought corn snow and graupel, lots of wind and cold, making it seem even homier in here.

No comments: