Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lego are dangerous

My kids love them, as I am sure many many thousands of children and young-at-heart adults the world over do. That doesn't mean they are any less dangerous. They come in pieces so small they can be inhaled. They come in pieces so giant that you can trip and fall while trying to get over them in the floor.
They are sharp on the corners and smooth on the sides. A child can give himself or his fellow playmates a bloody nose just trying to get the stubborn things APART.
Most recently, my youngest boy was sitting on a folding chair above a towering Lego boat my oldest had built and abandon. Instead of kicking it as he usually would or even turning onto his belly on the chair before sliding off, he launched himself into the air in a style that I could only think of as "Snow Angel in Flight" . he landed forehead first onto the pile and bounced off. As I comforted the poor thing, I tried to look for the signs of where the pain was inflicted and nothing was obvious. His crying and refusal to breath might have helped mask it a little. After a few minutes, bright purple circles showed up on his forehead.He hit so hard and so precisely that it left two and a half perfect purple outlines of circles above his right eyebrow.

I can't get a good picture, but I've never seen the like. He's balanced at least. He now has something to offset the pretty little purple-pink birthmark on the left side of his forehead. This is why I crochet them toys.

1 comment:

jamnsfld76 said...

Ouch!! I have cut my foot when I stepped on lego before, they are not nice toys. Hope he feels better soon.