Friday, January 23, 2009

Fave Song Revisiting

Bare Naked Ladies has always been a favorite of mine because they are goofy and fun and talented yet every so often they have a serious song that has such honesty that I can't help but love it. I am listening to Call and Answer right now. It brings back so many memories.
When I was growing up we spent a lot of family time at the beach. I looked forward to it so much, not because of the togetherness it was supposed to foster (not likely when my siblings and I were all big, crammed in a tiny back seat for hours after walking on a beach and not really all that fond of each others company to begin with) My dad had a collection of tapes he used to play over and over on these trips. I have loved singing since I can remember and this was heaven - singing at the top of my lungs and no one cared.
Now when driving around with my husband and kids, a song from one of those long ago summer days will come on the radio and I'm immersed in memories of being 16, lounging in the sun with sand on my feet and wind in my hair. I usually blurt out the place that song brought to mind.
In the middle of The Rains Down in Africa I say " Sunset Bay". While listening to Same Old Lang Syne, I'll toss in "Bandon". The Beatles were usually from Grants Pass to Coos Bay.
I may love more funk noise now, but the old songs touch my heart in more ways than one.

No comments: