Thursday, November 20, 2008

What leads me to you

I think it's a lyric, but my poor brain is too Swiss cheesed to remember for sure. I was talking to my GC friends and getting giddy that I have a new follower. Does anyone else feel slighty cult-leaderish when saying that aloud?
No? Just me, then. Moving on. I feel like rambling, so I'll say whatever comes to mind.

I am thinking of degrees of separation... sort of. Mentally I wander through my experiences til I reach a memory that reminds me of a nearly unrelated memory and I laugh.
The person standing with me doesn't get it. Mostly because I didn't say anything aloud, I simply chuckled. Usually during a solemn silence or about two beats after it would have been appropriate. Being me, I have to explain and then it gets even worse because there are just too many degrees of separation between my Memory Moment and where I actually am. I can't help myself either, I HAVE to explain it all in much greater detail than anyone wants.
This is the reason Mike refuses to let me talk to cops. My darling husband gives me this same speech every time we get ready to drive a long distance.
"IF we get pulled over, you are to say NOTHING. You don't look the officer in the eye, you don't open your mouth. Leave it to me. If for some reason you are speaking to the officer, you answer his questions exactly, be economical with words. Nod or shake your head if you can get away with it. Do you fully understand what I am saying to you? Good. I expect you to honor your word. I mean it."
Please don't think he's a mean spirited man or a controlling husband because he isn't. He's loving and kind and puts up with my weirdness. But I make that hard. how do I put this? hmmm.
Ever seen the movie Liar Liar? That scene when Jim Carrey gets pulled over... k, that's me. I am unable to lie. I can fudge or bend or omit on occasion if I am not started at for more than 4 seconds straight and I'm not asked any pointed and specific questions. But I can't lie. I can't play poker and I hate when cops go under cover on my favorite shows.

My first job interview was a disaster. Oh, you're imagining it now, aren't you? I showed up sweaty and late, I knocked over the stuff on a table, I shook, and I believe I even cried. Some of the phrases that I uttered ~
I have no experience in this field.
I don't drive
Since I hate the bus I might be late to work often.
I'm only applying here til I find a better job.
and my all time fave-
I am not good with people.
Then I called every day for a week til they told me bluntly they hired someone else. I cried again.
I truly love meeting new people and I am afraid sometimes I am a shock to their poor, polite systems. I write the way I talk, I talk the way I think and I think like a perfect combo of my mother and father. Which makes me seem bonkers.
During labor i remember singing Blues Clues. Also, I think I told someone I felt pretty. No drugs, all me.

I love romantic classics
nearly nothing offends me
I hate the colors orange (because of monkeys)
I am easily distracted by shiny noisy or colorful things
I love odd socks
I have to sniff everything and if what I sniff is soft, I have to touch it to my lips. The first two weeks after my baby's arrival, I had chapped lips.
Every season is wonderful
Family is the only thing that really matters to me
I have never been as happy in life as I have the last 8 years.
the term "mechanically separated chicken" will forever make me think of my uncle Mike and and his limerick.
I love most what I am least talented at.
I have a low self esteem, but I always assume people love me and I'm hurt when they don't. Why is that?
I not-so-secretly think my kids are the best people in the world.
My left half responds faster than my right.
I'll be back later.

No comments: