Thursday, November 20, 2008

I scared the mail man

and mail woman. They deliver packages (two people in the same car) at about 11 am most of the time and I make sure to be up and dressed so that I can run out and grab it as soon as they honk. If I don't, they leave and I have to wait days to get the thing delivered or I have to drive Mike to work then load the kids up and go to town, then go pick Mike up after work. Either way, it bites.
Today at 9:24 am I was awake, but wearing only a thigh high nightgown and I hadn't done anything but drink coffee... no hair brush, no socks. Nada.
They came early.

Split second decision - do I maintain my modesty and miss the delivery, causing much more work later, or do I sacrifice modesty, become the crazy lady who answers the door in the rough, but get the package on time?
I am hosting a fall swap and this was a package for said swap, so my choice was made.
Since we closed off the front door at the first snow because of sealing issues I had to go around back, across the boardwalk and around the side of the house. I was running late from all that thinking I had done and so I had to jog.


Take a moment and try to imagine this. I am a big woman. I was in complete disarray. I was wearing a short sleeved, above the knee cotton nighty that's pink with gray kittens and stars all over it. I came running around the back of the house in the snow with no shoes.
This is when I realized, oh, the no shoes thing.. snow is bad enough, but I forgot the patch of wet dirt (rained earlier) then crushed rock. So now I had to slow down and do that weird walk people do when they have tender soft feet and are walking on rocks.
My mail woman did a double take and giggled before catching herself. To cover the moment, she then said "Oh."
I said, "um, yeah"
she said, "how are you doing?"
I looked down, looked at her and said, "I'm a little cold".
I got the package and as I reached for it I was thinking, I hope my nighty is long enough to cover what it needs to when I lift my arms.
There was an actual gale of laughter as they left my driveway.
Next time I am remembering to wear underwear.
Or shoes.

No comments: