Friday, April 2, 2010

I am beginning to see the light

I have known people who can't stop themselves, they HAVE to work out. Even more annoying than the great physique and the looks they give anyone eating fat in any form, they have to TALK about the gym or reps and call muscle groups by name.
I don't care about being tight, ripped, shredded or whatever painful euphamistically given name one wants to use. I just don't want to be FAT. And it's not even for my looks, (though that is a nice side effect) I am doing it for my health and for the future health and well being of my kids. If they learn to eat and sit like their parents, then we are dooming them to a short and medication filled life lacking in self esteem and youthful joy.
I have been making little changes, tiny steps for 2 years now. Learning about portion size, making healthier choices, then cutting out the really bad stuff for me and then adding daily exercise. Once I talked to the doctor, I had to scale back the intensity but up the duration. Instead of 20 minutes of hard stuff, now it's supposed to be 1 hour of slightly gentler workouts. I have been adding a few minutes here and there til today I hit 40 minutes. I still feel like Jello, so I think I'll be hovering there for a few days, but it's worth it.
My body is showing small improvements, little changes like the cellulite on my thighs starting to fade, my abs pulling in my stomach a bit, calves becoming less lumpy and more shapely. I dig it.
I am really loving my workouts now, I think I am even beginning to enjoy getting all hot and sweaty! more than anything, it's good to know that my efforts may not have made me slim and pretty yet, but they have made a big impact on my health. i am not in danger of diabetes :) thank you doc!

No comments: