Monday, April 20, 2009

Crepes are going to be the death of me

I found a wonderful crepe dessert recipe and OOOOOH so good. I made them twice the first week and twice again the second week, three if you count making them for my in-laws as well.
The recipe is at Cooks.com, one of my favorite recipe places EVER. Yes, you have to sift a little to find a recipe that's generally correct but the sheer variety of amazing and sometimes hard to find recipes makes up for such a minor inconvenience.

I love it so much because I lowered the amount of sugar in the filling to taste and it doesn't really make a difference in the outcome other than to make it a little more friendly to the sugar-conscious. For the topping I simply opened a can of Oregon berries or thawed frozen raspberries, though the berry sauce recipe is wonderful... I just like it simple.

One tip- if you want super smooth filling, be sure to beat the daylights out of the cottage cheese before adding the cream cheese - it never quite went smooth for me til I did that. It's just as yummy with a few tiny lumps so I don't let it bother me, lol.

Being a novice to crepe making, I was sure I would mess it up. Nearly impossible to mess this one up! Using an 8 inch non stick pan with a slightly rounded bottom, I left the heat on medium the whole time. I only used the tiniest bit of butter to lightly coat the bottom of the pan for the first crepe, no more after that because it's too greasy. I put in my two tablespoons and swirled it around gently to coat ONLY the bottom of the pan, not up the sides at all (makes the edges too thin and burns easily) then I left it the heck alone til the surface no longer looked wet or shiny. Then I tipped the pan sideways over a plate and used a silicone spatula with a thin edge to break the seal around the top edge and it slid right out. Lay it flat and make another. If it's cooked through, it won't stick. I did make a couple of crepes too brown, but they softened right up if I let them sit a few minutes before using and they are still soooo good. Three crepes each was more than enough and we're big people and love our food. This recipe really does make 12 crepes as it claims and I like that the filling is also the exact amount for the crepes.
Enjoy!!

STRAWBERRY AND CREAM CHEESE CREPES

CREPE BATTER:

2 eggs
1/4 c. milk
2 tbsp. water
4 tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. salt

FILLING:

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 tbsp. cottage cheese
1/4 c. sugar

SAUCE:

2 c. fresh strawberries Or frozen unsweetened & thawed
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/3 c. sugar

Batter: Beat eggs, milk and water. Add flour and salt, beat just until smooth. Lightly oil a crepe pan or medium skillet. Heat pan over medium heat. When pan is hot spoon 2 tablespoons batter into pan and rotate pan to spread evenly. When edges of crepe are browned, turn crepe onto a plate.

Filling: Place cream cheese, cottage cheese and sugar in mixer. Blend until smooth. Set aside.

Sauce: Coarsely chop strawberries. Add lemon juice and sugar. Toss lightly. When ready to serve spoon 2 tablespoons filling into each crepe and roll. Arrange crepes seam side down on plate. Serve immediately with fresh fruit sauce.

Makes 12 servings, 1 crepe each.

No comments: