Sunday, February 8, 2009

Now that's not something you see every day!

Mike and the kids and I were all driving this afternoon, on our way to pick up makeup remover for me since the mascara I spoke of in my previous post turned out to be waterproof... as well as soap and witch hazel proof. Good side - it didn't leave funky black smears under my eyes upon waking. Bad side - it was still there the next morning despite three attempts to wash it off.
SO - off on a silly errand and chatting about nothing in particular on the way when I glance out the window to be what felt like face to face with a bald eagle. I have been driving and an eagle swooped down near our windshield so close that I could see the color of it's eyes, but today, the bald eagle was simply sitting on a low branch on the side of the road.
I was stunned at first, but recovered quickly and was able to make Mike understand what I had seen. He turned around as fast as he could and went back, but no bird. Well, we kind of expected him to have flown by then so I kept my camera out while Mike drover slowly back the direction we were originally headed, just in case. Right as I was giving up and about to put the camera away, I saw him again, this time in a very tall tree at least a half acre from the road.
Mike pulled to a sudden stop and I jumped out and jogged closer, stopping three times to get progressively closer pictures. Once he started getting a little nervous about my interest, I changed to video in hopes of seeing him take off. I was rewarded. The quality of my video is crappy because that's what happens to an amateur who's hiking blindly through underbrush after a week of rainy weather. For that I apologize, but it was so amazing to be this close to a bald eagle in the wild. I was giddy for at least an hour after.



No comments: